REST
I step into my morning meditation, remembering Storyteller Tree’s words: “Just go inside.” Without effort or traveling, I am on the island standing in front of Tree. Tree tells me, “Go inside fearlessly.” Forgive us our trespasses…. I sink through the layers of fear– are there regrets? – into a place of fearlessness. I am home.
I say to Tree, “You told me once that you are me. Will I lie down next to you or will I lie down contained inside you, one with you? Who are we?”
“Ah, just rest, child, all will be revealed. Just rest.”
I lie down next to Tree, not completely settled. I look up and a small blonde girl dressed in a white robe approaches silently. She raises her arms, wordlessly asking to be held. I pick her up, embrace her, and we lie down in the soft grass under the arms of Tree. I glance around, looking for my friend, Peacock. I have missed him. I ask Tree where he is. As I ask the question, Peacock slowly emerges into form next to me as if always there. I lay my head on his brilliant blue body, the little girl cradled in my arms. We rest at the foot of Tree.
ACCEPTING THE CLOAK
Little One and I lay resting at the foot of Tree. The last thing I remember before drifting off to sleep was looking up at Tree’s gnarled gray-brown trunk, his soft wizened eyes gazed down at us, our guardian.
We slept – I don’t know how long - but it was the deepest, sweetest sleep I have slept in forever. I was awakened by the faint sound of leaves rustling. …leaves? How was that possible? Tree had no leaves. He was a wonderful, barky old soul. His parched hard exterior belied the softness within.
Curious, I opened my eyes. What could be making that sound? When I saw what I saw, I thought that Little One and I must have been transported to a new land as we slept. Peacock was gone. Could he be playing tricks on us? But no….I looked across the beach and saw that it was the same beach. Joy Fish splashed and played in the water across the sand. The island was the same….but….Tree? How could it be explained? Gnarled gray Tree was different. Tree had transformed, no longer covered with crumbling old bark, but with smooth, plump skin. Tree’s branches had grown a canopy of huge green leaves, our verdant umbrella. Tree’s kind eyes were still there – the blueness more intense now. It seemed that Tree had drunk in all the water from deep within the Earth as we slept. Even Tree’s voice had changed as he …she?...(the voice was so different now) spoke in even warmer, softer tones than before.
“Rest.”
And as Tree spoke, green leaves gently swirled down, their fingers gently caressing Little One and me. I felt their healing touch everywhere at once. Each leaf was trailing a fine golden thread. Gently, lovingly, the leaves were weaving a shimmering golden blanket around us as we rested on the ground.
“What is this?” I asked Tree. I spoke softly. Little One still slept and I did not want to wake her.
“This is the Cloak of Finding God.”
A cloak? Finding God? “Where do I look? How do I search?”
“Rest for now. In time you will see.”
No comments:
Post a Comment